Any combatant, veteran, or survivalist will tell you that a tactical knee pad is non-negotiable on the list of kits to have. The knees are a weak point for disabling the legs, which is why most shooters go for the kneecaps to immobilize a threat.
To avoid exposing your leg to their weakest points and also to avoid pressuring your knees during tactical missions, hunting while prone, or even skating, you want to invest in a tactical knee pad that is sure to maximize your protection.
A sturdy knee pad is durable and comfy making you feel light and worry less about exposing your knees to injury either while crawling or getting hit by ammo or shrapnel.
Today, I will be discussing in great detail 12 of the best tactical knee pads available on the market. This review will aim to guide you through the process of selecting some of the top-rated products you can find on the market today.
But who is a tactical knee pad for?
A tactical knee pad is for anyone who engages in any activity that needs to keep the knee protected. Mercenaries, military, survivalists, hunters, skaters, and more would benefit from owning such a knee pad.
- Which Are The Best Tactical Knee Pads To Buy?
- Tactical Knee Pad Comparison Chart
- Top 12 Best Tactical Knee Pads On The Market 2021 Reviews
- 1. K-P Industries Knee Pro Ultra Flex III Knee Pads
- 2. Alta Industries 50413 AT50413-14 AltaFLEX Knee Pads
- 3. BLACKHAWK Advanced Tactical Knee Pads V.2
- 4. ALTA 52913.09 AltaCONTOUR Knee Protector Pad
- 5. Military Outdoor Clothing 1053-N Previously Issued U.S. G.I. ACU Knee and Elbow Pad Set
- 6. NoCry Professional Knee Pads
- 7. Alta 50413 AltaLok Knee Pads
- 8. Diamond Talk Military Tactical Knee Pad Elbow Pad Set
- 9. M-Tac Knee Pad Inserts for Tactical and Work Pants Memory Foam Elbow Pads
- 10. HWI Next Generation Tactical Quick Release Knee Pads
- 11. IDOGEAR G3 Army Combat Pants Knee Pads
- 12. Outdoor Sports Tactical Combat Knee & Elbow Protective Pads Skate Knee Pads
- Buying Guide
- My Top Pick
Which Are The Best Tactical Knee Pads To Buy?
Do you have plans to buy a tactical knee pad soon or you are currently interested in buying one? Need to find out what the best tactical knee pad is? In this section, you will find a highlight of some of the most preferred tactical knee pads.
There are knee pads for professionals, military, survivalists, skaters, and other outdoorsy persons. You should go through this list and see if there’s one that fits your use. Don’t forget to check the comparison chart after this section to see how each of the tactical knee pads competes with the other.
- Best Budget – K-P Industries Knee Pro Ultra Flex III Knee Pads
“Foam pads for comfort, steel rivet hinges, snap-on elastic straps, durable construction, ergonomic design, and hard plastic shell.”
- Best Overall – Alta Industries 50413 AT50413-14 AltaFLEX Knee Pads
“Alta buckle fastening system, thick foam for comfort, maximum protection with strong rubber caps, made of DuPont Corduna nylon, anti-impact strength.”
- Best for Competitive Fighting – BLACKHAWK Advanced Tactical Knee Pads V.2
“Military-grade knee pads, ergonomic design, moisture retention, PVC shell, 600 denier nylon shell, adjustable straps, shock resistance.”
- Best for Flooring – ALTA 52913.09 AltaCONTOUR Knee Protector Pad
“Great coverage, made of sturdy materials, has 3 layers of pad, PVC shield, and works perfectly under pressure, good for impact protection.”
- Best Lightweight – NoCry Professional Knee Pads
“Weighs 1.2 ounces, uses quick-release buckles, great foam, and soft gel padding, neoprene straps, heavy-duty nylon thread construction.”
- Best Pant Knee Pad – IDOGEAR G3 Army Combat Pants Knee Pads
“Made of polyester and cotton, pant with a built-in knee pad, Ykk zippers, ripstop technology, loop, and hook closure.”
- Best for Outdoor Activities – Outdoor Sports Tactical Combat Knee & Elbow Protective Pads Skate Knee Pads
“Made of polymer and durable nylon, lightweight, has soft cushion pad, comfortable, good for paintball, hunting, shooting, and other activities.”
Tactical Knee Pad Comparison Chart
Are you trying to compare the various tactical knee pads? Interested in seeing their features/specifications that make them stand out from each other?
You can compare one tactical knee pad from another with this comparison chart. Check their material build, strap type, pad type, and weight and decide on which pad will work best for you.
|Product Name||Material||Weight||Strap Type||Pad Type|
|K-P Industries Knee Pro Ultra Flex III Knee Pads - Best Budget||Polymer shell||1.6 ounces||Elastic straps||High-density foam pad|
|Alta Industries 50413 AT50413-14 AltaFLEX Knee Pads - Best Overall||DuPont Cordura nylon||14.4 ounces||Alta buckle||Foam padding|
|BLACKHAWK Advanced Tactical Knee Pads V.2 - Best for Competitive Fighting||600 denier nylon shell||0.97 ounces||Hook and loop straps||Closed-cell foam padding|
|ALTA 52913.09 AltaCONTOUR Knee Protector Pad - Best for Flooring||Cordura nylon fabric||11.64 ounces||AltaLOK fasteners||Layers of foam|
|Military Outdoor Clothing 1053-N Previously Issued U.S. G.I. ACU Knee and Elbow Pad Set||high-density polyethylene||1.4 pounds||Woven nylon straps||N/A|
|NoCry Professional Knee Pads - Best Lightweight||heavy-duty nylon thread||1.2 ounces||neoprene straps||Gel padding|
|Alta 50413 AltaLok Knee Pads||Cordura nylon||6 pounds||On/off fastening system||Neoprene foam|
|Diamond Talk Military Tactical Knee Pad Elbow Pad Set - Best Elbow and Knee Pad||nylon and polymer CUP||1.15 pounds||Velcro closure||High-density foam|
|M-Tac Knee Pad Inserts for Tactical and Work Pants Memory Foam Elbow Pads||EVA material||113 grams||N/A||EVA foam|
|HWI Next Generation Tactical Quick Release Knee Pads||STPA cap and nylon protection||6.4 pounds||Quick-release straps||High-density foam|
|IDOGEAR G3 Army Combat Pants Knee Pads - Best Pant Knee Pad||Cotton and polyester material||2.15 pounds||N/A||N/A|
|Outdoor Sports Tactical Combat Knee & Elbow Protective Pads Skate Knee Pads - Best for Outdoor Activities||Polymer and nylon material||8.8 ounces||Velcro closure||Cushion pad|
Top 12 Best Tactical Knee Pads On The Market 2021 Reviews
1. K-P Industries Knee Pro Ultra Flex III Knee Pads
The Knee Pro Ultra Flex III Knee Pads from K-P Industries uses hard polymer but hinged outer shell in order to provide durable construction. They come with rubber grip pads that offer excellent grips on slippery surfaces without necessarily damaging the floor.
The Knee Pro Ultra Flex III Knee Pads come with half-inch inner foam pads in order to keep your knees very comfortable when you kneel.
The hinges which use steel rivets make it easier for you to walk. And they are held in position, thanks to quick snap-on elastic straps that are perfectly placed so that they don’t get bunched up behind the knee.
- Hard polymer shell
- 5/8-inch high-density foam pad
- Grip strip
- Hard plastic outer shell
- Snap-on elastic straps
- Incredibly durable
- Hinges use steel rivets
- Straps leave enough room for the knee
- Ergonomic design
- Need to be worn with pants
- Very slippery when wet
|Product dimensions||6.2 x 6 x 10.2 inches|
2. Alta Industries 50413 AT50413-14 AltaFLEX Knee Pads
The Alta Industries 50413 AT50413-14 AltaFLEX Knee Pads has soft and long rubber caps that guarantee anti-impact and strength. They can also resist any levels of skidding and marring.
These knee pads provide maximum surface cover, excellent knee traction, and also prevent you from having any knee-related injuries. And they are very suitable for use during any demanding outdoor work.
- Constructed with DuPont Cordura nylon
- Alta buckle fastening system
- Soft rubber caps that guarantee super strength
- The durable lining helps in providing proper knee traction
- Large knee cap cover allows for maximum surface cover
- AltaLok Technology
- Loop and hook system make it easy to adjust
- Super-thick foam padding makes kneeling comfortable
- Rubber caps are non-ripstop materials
|Product dimensions||7.4 x 0.91 x 12.28 inches|
3. BLACKHAWK Advanced Tactical Knee Pads V.2
(Best for Competitive Fighting)
The BLACKHAWK Advanced Tactical Knee Pads V.2 are military-grade knee pads made of high elastic materials that provide excellent protection for your knees as you go about your tactical activity unencumbered.
It has an impressive and unique design. Its ergonomic design makes it usable in a wide variety of conditions or works.
- PVC shell for extra protection during heavy tasks
- 600 denier Nylon shell
- Works on a wide variety of surfaces for extended periods without causing undue harassments
- Impressive design
- Little moisture retention
- Flexible knee pads
- Adjustable straps that do not slip easily
- Superb shock resistance
- Stays in place even when you run
- Closed-cell foam padding may allow the retention of moisture
- Straps are somewhat too close to each other and may be uncomfortable for some individuals
- They don’t detach easily
|Manufacturer||ATK (Brand: Blackhawk)|
|Product dimensions||10.05 x 8.25 x 3.5 inches|
4. ALTA 52913.09 AltaCONTOUR Knee Protector Pad
(Best for Flooring)
The ALTA 52913.09 AltaCONTOUR Knee Protector Pad is a high-quality product and is touted as the best military or army knee pads in the marketplace today.
It has sectional foam padding that ensures your knees are protected when carrying out heavy-impact activities during tactical operations. You can also kneel on any surface for extended periods without feeling any discomfort.
- 3 layers of pads of ergonomic design for extra comfort
- Perfectly designated for work with a superbly thick shield of PVC
- Multi-purpose and highly suitable for both men and women
- Excellent army knee pads
- Works under pressure when used for heavy-duty activity
- Excellent coverage as it fully protects the knee
- Manufactured with high-quality materials
- Perfect option for impact protection
- Never moves once set in place
- Narrow choice for sizes
- Not too durable for extended periods
- Lacks large knee pockets
|Color||Olive green and 5 other options|
|Product dimensions||9.02 x 4.02 x 11.02 inches|
5. Military Outdoor Clothing 1053-N Previously Issued U.S. G.I. ACU Knee and Elbow Pad Set
The Military Outdoor Clothing 1053-N Previously Issued U.S. G.I. ACU Knee and Elbow Pad Set comes with 2 knee and elbow pads respectively. Each one of these pads is adjustable and fits people of all sizes.
Both elbow and knee pads come with top straps made of woven nylon while the bottom straps are elastic. The pads are incredibly durable since they are authentic military issued surplus.
- Constructed of high-density polyethylene
- Genuine US military issued surplus
- Excellent condition, even though they are used which doesn’t affect their efficiency
- Comes with 2 adjustable elbow pads and 2 adjustable knee pads that provide you overall protection
- Easy to use
- Constructed with high-density polyethylene which guarantees its durability
- Great customer service
- Worth the price tag
- Top-of-the-line build quality
- Wear and tear signs which some people may find uncomfortable
- Price is not too alluring
|Manufacturer||Military Outdoor Clothing|
|Product dimensions||12 x 5 x 12 inches|
6. NoCry Professional Knee Pads
The NoCry Professional Knee Pads is specifically constructed to withstand heavy use when utilized for on-the-job situations.
They come with excellent padding that is made of highly durable foam and soft gel, thus ensuring your knee remains comfortable as much as possible.
The NoCry Professional Knee Pads are held in place via the use of flexible neoprene straps. Their quick-release slip buckle clips make the knee pads easy to wear or take off.
- Flexible neoprene straps
- Durable, soft gel padding
- Easy to adjust for a secure fit
- Designed for safety and comfort
- Constructed to withstand heavy use
- Slips down easily
- Requires tightening to the point of discomfort for it to stay in place
- Slips to the sides of the knees
|Product dimensions||10 x 8.5 x 3.5 inches|
7. Alta 50413 AltaLok Knee Pads
The Alta 50413 AltaLok Knee Pads are highly durable and come with soft, long rubber caps for maximum surface coverage and traction. The neoprene foam padding that comes with this product provides firm support consistently. It has an incredibly easy on/off fastening system and is adjustable to fit most sizes.
The Alta 50413 AltaLok Knee Pads has Cordura Nylon cover which provides additional comfort while the finished brushed tricot liner helps to keep out debris and moisture. You can secure the pads to your knees using the 6 brass grommets available.
- Neoprene foam padding
- 6 brass grommets
- Adjustable to fit most sizes
- Caps built with soft rubber for additional traction
- Cordura Nylon provides maximum surface coverage and comfort
- 6-point brass grommet fastener for firmly securing the pads
- None found
|Product dimensions||6 x 6 x 6 inches|
8. Diamond Talk Military Tactical Knee Pad Elbow Pad Set
(Best Tactical Elbow and Knee Pads)
The Diamond Talk Military Tactical Knee Pad Elbow Pad Set is perfect for those who love paintballing, skating, and other recreational activities. They are highly durable and handle impact and abuse exceptionally well.
The Diamond Talk Military Tactical Knee Pad Elbow Pad Set is constructed with a high-quality combination of polymer and nylon. The excellent padding the elbow and knee pads are fitted with makes them incredibly comfortable.
- Velcro closures and multiple adjustable and elastic straps for secure fit for several knee girths
- Shockproof Eva high-density foam for superb shock absorption
- Works for multiple applications
- Easy to wear and fit
- Superior comfort and durability
- Able to withstand abuse incredibly well
- Handles impact exceptionally well
- You need to wear proper pants as this item can dig into the back of your legs
- May be somewhat short for big individuals
- Stitching is not considered the best
|Product dimensions||Elbow pad (18.5cm x 14.5 cm) and knee pad (22.5cm x 16.5cm)|
9. M-Tac Knee Pad Inserts for Tactical and Work Pants Memory Foam Elbow Pads
Most military and modern tactical pants come with reinforcements on the knees which allow you to install protection equipment.
The M-Tac Knee pad Inserts for Tactical and Work Pants Memory Foam Elbow Pads are inserts that you can use when you have to kneel on hard surfaces for extended periods.
They are made with EVA materials that are adjudged to be 4 times lighter than polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Constructed with lightweight, orthopedic EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) foam that is 4 times lighter than PVC
- Resistant to chemicals, e.g. solvents, oils, etc.
- Tactical and comfortable knee pads built with lightweight Eva foam
- Flexible wear-resistant
- Antistatic and hygienic
- Soft, thick, and highly reliable knee inserts for mountain trekking, mountaineering, and hiking
- Great for recreational use
- Not for industrial use
- May be tricky to insert and remove from work pants
|Product dimensions||22.86 x 13.79 x 2.21 cm|
10. HWI Next Generation Tactical Quick Release Knee Pads
(Best for Military Use)
The HWI Next Generation Tactical Quick Release Knee Pads may be one-size-fits-all knee pads, but they come with several features that you will always find helpful.
These knee pads utilize STPA cap technology, an excellent feature if you need sturdy protection. They are also built with high-density foam and nylon materials that efficiently maximize comfort as well as withstand heavy use.
- STPA cap for improved protection
- Durable nylon material and high-density foam
- Sturdy protection, thanks to STPA cap technology
- Smart design for any tough or heavy-pressure job
- Withstands heavy use
- Lasts longer since it is built with nylon material
- Reliable buckling system, thereby ensuring non-slip fastening
- Not suitable for you if you’ve had a knee surgery
- Single size: supposedly one-size-fits-all knee pads
- Grommet clip may come off
- Not ideal for bulky knees
|Product dimensions||13.5 x 8.25 x 3.5 inches|
11. IDOGEAR G3 Army Combat Pants Knee Pads
(Best Pant Knee Pad)
The IDOGEAR G3 Army Combat Pants Knee Pads is made of 50 percent cotton and 50 percent polyester and use ripstop technology.
They come with a 4-way stretch, Ykk zippers, and a Teflon layer. You will fall in love with the military-level equipment you will get when you buy the product.
- Made with high-quality cotton and polyester materials
- Stitching is top-notch
- Accordion-based pockets
- The loop and hook hold up the pants
- An ideal option for war games, airsoft, paintball as well as regular wear and tear
- Comes in black or camouflage colors
- Proper fit is assured
- Incredible value for the price
- Built-in knee pads
- Casual looking
- Comfortable and soft
- Knock-off brand of the original
- Extension of the Velcro may be required
- May be a little tight for thick individuals
|Product dimension||13.9 x 11.9 x 3.3 inches|
12. Outdoor Sports Tactical Combat Knee & Elbow Protective Pads Skate Knee Pads
(Best for Outdoor Activities)
If you love outdoor activities like paintball, airsoft, skating, or hunting and shooting games, the Outdoor Sports Tactical Combat Knee & Elbow Protective Pads Skate Knee Pads are the perfect option for you.
- Soft cushion pad on the inside
- Built with high impact polymer and durable nylon
- Excellent value for the price
- Perfect for airsoft, paintball, hunting and shooting games as well as any other outdoor activity
- Comfortable and wearable
- Lightweight and non-matching Multicam pattern
- Soft cushion pad on the inner side
- Velcro on elbow pads are a tad too large and may irritate your arms if you are not wearing long sleeves
- Attachment points may be a bit flimsy
- Plastic shield is pretty thin and may break against a hard surface or rock
|Product dimensions||7 x 6.5 x 4.6 inches|
So, you are considering getting a tactical knee pad but want insights about your decision. If you are a combatant or a survivalist, you should definitely get your hands on a few knee pads; they would keep your knee safe from injuries and pain.
Depending on the type of activity you plan to engage in, a knee pad could be a necessity. For instance, mercenaries, hunters (who go prone a lot), and other survivalists would need a knee pad because there will be lots of kneeling and crawling on the mission.
You don’t want to be crawling over shrapnel filled particles, rocks, or other thorn-like objects without a knee pad. On such activities, you would realize just how important a tactical knee pad is.
Also, the application of tactical pads is pretty straightforward and easy to use. All you need to do is buy one with the right fit so that whether you are inserting them in your tactical pants or wearing them directly on your skin while putting on shorts, it doesn’t slide/shift position.
Quick note: Tactical knee pads are built for use in uncomfortable situations, so be sure to pick one that offers maximum durability and protection. To help you choose a good tactical knee pad, this guide is for you.
Some of the qualities of a good tactical knee pad you should watch out for include:
Before deciding on a choice of a tactical knee pad or any wearable at all, be sure to go for something that fits great. One way to find such in products like knee pads is to check out the type of straps they come with. You want a knee pad that is easy to adjust.
Some of the most common types of straps used in knee pads are Velcro (elastic) and buckles. These two are great for adjustability and comfort. While elastic (Velcro) straps tend to be better for keeping your knee pads in place, pads with buckles tend to last longer although require some getting used to.
Type Of Material
Another important thing to consider is the type of material the knee pad is made of. This is to ascertain if the knee pad can withstand the kind of activities you would be using it for. Terrains and activity rigidity will influence your choice of pads in no small way.
Sturdy and durable knee pads are a must especially if you’re going to having activities in rocky terrains and sharp objects littering the area. For less risky activities like skiing which requires flexibility, you can in fact opt for a less sturdy material that will provide ample breathability and flexibility.
You most especially want to note that while stiff materials can be longer-lasting, they won’t be able to help you maneuver your way through activities requiring mobility and flexibility in the knee region. Don’t forget that being overly lightweight too has its own demerits which include the risk of the knee pad moving as your knees move.
You definitely want to go for a knee pad that is comfortable to wear, because you would be glued to this thing for a while. Going for a knee pad that can prevent pain and also try its best to absorb shock is a must.
There are several materials that can do such; some of the most common types are closed-cell foam, gel lining, etc. You want that tactical knee pad that won’t cause you pain even if you spend hours on your knees while working.
Also, be sure that any knee pad you choose does not pierce your skin or is so rigid you can’t move properly.
The weather conditions you’d be wearing your tactical knee pads in should determine what type of pad you buy. Since you would be wearing these pads long, you are get involved in activities during varying weather conditions.
Hot weather periods will need pads that are breathable.
Go for pads that won’t restrict your movement, retain moisture, or cause your knees to sweat. Also, depending on the type of clothing you would be wearing be sure you go for a pad that’s comfortable and won’t stick to your skin.
Yes, you’re basically buying a knee pad to protect your knees, but you already know that different knee pads would over different levels of protection and comfort. For instance, rubber tactical knee pads are way more comfortable to wear than plastic or polyethylene pads. But, the latter is more durable.
If you are looking for a knee pad that would even your knees weight while kneeling (so you’re more comfortable), go for rubber knee pads.
My Top Pick
While there are a lot of top choices in this list of 12, my favorite is the Alta Industries AT50413-14 AltaFLEX Knee Pads and for good reasons. Asides from being soft and comfortable that leaves you wondering if this would be able to protect your knees, the AT50413 knee pads by Alta Industries has aces up its pad.
For one, it’s constructed with DuPont corduna nylon and has rubber caps that help it handle impact easily. There are super-thick foam padding in it for comfort especially when prone or kneeling. The best is it has a loop and hook system that lets you easily adjust it.
Overall, it’s a bang for the bucks and will be a great addition to your collection as a survivalist. If you have other knee pads you have tried and tested, please feel free to share it with us.